Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Charley Harper, Illustration&Interior Design

Charley Harper was a Cincinnati based American Modernist artist. He was best known for his highly stylized wildlife prints, posters and book illustrations.Born in Frenchton, West Virginia in 1922, Harper's upbringing on his family farm influenced his work to his last days. "When I look at a wildlife or nature subject, I don’t see the feathers in the wings, I just count the wings. I see exciting shapes, color combinations, patterns, textures, fascinating behavior and endless possibilities for making interesting pictures. I regard the picture as an ecosystem in which all the elements are interrelated, interdependent, perfectly balanced, without trimming or un-utilized parts; and herein lies the lure of painting; in a world of chaos, the picture is one small rectangle in which the artist can create an ordered universe." I share this vision and have been blessed to be shown the scope of these possibilities through his remarkable work. Although he passed on in 2007, I have continued to discover the endless legacy of  his work and abilities through print, children's books, interior design, and the list goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment